Dear friends, welcome to the e-zine for London Parks Friends Groups,
In this issue…
- In case you missed it – our showcase webinar about holding community events is here, with video and a presentation link. You can also find the video on our YouTube channel here (we’re reviewing our security settings to enable more people to access the LFGN site).
- Reminder of our dogs in parks webinar on Monday 19 June at 7pm: Ben Stockwell, Senior Urban Rewilding Officer for Citizen Zoo, will discuss the organisation’s water vole reintroduction on the Hogsmill River in southwest London, and in particular their dog walker engagement work. This is a vital component of the project that is enabling dog walkers to learn about the potential impacts of dogs on water voles and other wildlife in a positive and informative way. Zoom link https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89771060060
- Funds are available from CPRE London for hedgerow planting – check out this link for information.
- Did you see Dave on BBC News? Check out the link to a story about a school’s protest to save their park and Dave’s support.
- GoParksLondon is working with Lewisham Council and Glendale to hold a walk through Lewisham green and blue spaces on 8 July, hearing from friends groups along the way. Join us!
- Wheels for Wellbeing writes about making parks more accessible for all. (Link to the page on GoParksLondon here.)
- Two requests from friends groups! Can you help?
- Friends of Kennington Park is looking for helpers for their fair on Sunday, July 16th, 1-6pm. They need volunteers before, during and after the festival! If you can help, email Laura.
- Friends of Ropemakers Fields is looking to install a new wildlife area, with attractive posts designed by schoolchildren around the site to help protect it. Does any group have experience of putting in posts into cement? What tools are required, etc? If so, please contact Laura.
- Capital Growth has some events coming up for anyone interested in food growing:
- CG Summer training dates all at Regent’s Park Allotment Garden: Tues 20 June 6-8pm | Growing for school calendar with Emma Myers; Sat 24 June 10.30am-1pm | Forest gardening for climate resilience with Than Gunabalasingham; Sat 1 July 10.30am-12.30pm Container food growing with Mark Ridsdill Smith; Tues 4 July 6-8pm | How to work with London clay for good growing with Richard Choksey.
- The London Permaculture Festival is on Sun 2 July, 11am-6pm at Cecil Sharp House. Meet them for two workshops with Letting bees be wild with Matt Somerville and No dig gardening with Stephanie Hafferty, plus plenty more activities and stalls.
- Gardens Trust Survey of park friends groups – take part here.
- Info on Biodiversity Net Gain – and watch your newsletters for a webinar we’re planning for the autumn!
- An update on the ongoing battle for Whitewebbs Park in Enfield.
- News about parks and the outdoors from Haringey Council.
- Are you near or in the Crane Valley? Sign up to this newsletter for more information.
- Are you on Facebook? Join the LFGN Facebook group and get the latest LFGN updates and hear directly from friends groups across London.
- Do you have a success story you’d like to share? Email Laura about your project
- Future meeting dates can be seen here.
Dave Morris, Chair LFGN
Alice Roberts and Laura Collins at CPRE London CPRE London is working with LFGN to bring more support to London’s friends groups